Today I’m building a banquette for the breakfast nook in our kitchen. A little while ago I built a table for this space and it needed some seating. Check it out.
I picked up supplies at our local Home Depot. All I needed were three 4×4’s and a sheet of ¾ inch plywood.
I arranged several pieces of 4×4 in the plans to form this shape.
I grabbed the first board and, using the miter saw, cut it up into the 5 sections.
I applied a bunch of wood glue to the mating sides and spread it around using a piece of scrap wood, then clamped everything down tight with lots of clamps.
I cleaned up a template I created from the 3D model, and then taped it together. This got glued down to the blank using a normal glue stick.
I slowly ran the piece through the band saw, following as close to the line as possible.
I needed to make 4 legs total, and this first piece would serve as my template for the other three.
Once I was satisfied with the look and feel, I repeated the process for making the other legs. I chopped the pieces down to size on the miter saw and then glued and clamped them up.
I removed the clamps once everything was dry and began sanding everything smooth. I used a combination of the belt sander, the random orbit sander, and hand sanding the inside corners and edges.
I also marked out a notch where the molding was.
I placed the original down and traced it out onto the other three.
I transferred the notch from the base molding, as well as where the leg would connect to the 2×4 support.
The remaining legs were all cut on the band saw just like the first one. I cut as close as I could to the line so that I could sand it down later.
To remove the material on the inside, I cut through the leg itself. This gave me access with the band saw, and then I could glue it back together after the cut.
I used joint compound to cover up any gaps or imperfections. Once everything was sanded smooth, it was time for paint.
I propped the legs up with clamps on a table outside and grabbed some spray-paint. I put on 5 or 6 light coats so I wouldn’t have any drips or runs. You can see how much paint flies around so you should always spray outside.
Now I could focus on how to mount the legs in the space. I used a stud finder to figure out where I could secure the cleat to.
I cut up a couple 2×4’s at the miter saw, as well as some temporary legs.
I brought them inside and transferred the stud marks onto the boards.
I used a speed square to extend the lines across the width of the boards.
At the drill press I used a tapered counter-sink bit to drill through the boards. I made two holes per line.
To make installation easier, I placed all the screws into the holes ahead of time.
I used the temporary legs and just put the 2×4’s in place and screwed them in.
Now I could focus on building the seat. Using the piece of ¾ inch plywood I cut it down to the correct length using the cordless circular saw.
At the table saw, I ripped them down to width, and then I used a cross-cut sled to bring them down to their final length.
I bought some 3-inch upholstery foam on amazon and laid it all out.
The cushions were wife’s idea so I asked her to help me out. I marked out the shape of the plywood onto the foam with a sharpie, and then cut down into it using a razor knife. It takes several passes but it’s really easy to cut.
We laid out the selected fabric and adjusted the foam so it would be the same distance from each edge.
I also trimmed off the excess fabric from the end.
We grabbed the fabric and rolled it over itself, and then stapled it down to the plywood. I’ve never done this before and didn’t know how many staples to use. I used a lot.
The same process was repeated for the opposite side. The trick is to pull the fabric tight before stapling, but make sure that the pattern is consistent throughout.
We folded the long sides like we were wrapping a Christmas present, and then stapled everything down tight.
I cut off the excess fabric from the other side and then repeated the same process.
The cushion was now done. And comfortable.
Now that I knew what to do, it did the exact same thing for the other cushion.
In order to secure the legs in place, I marked out where the holes would go.
I grabbed the drill, some 3-inch deck screws, and the correct sized drill bit.
I drilled the holes in at an angle. This would allow the screws to get down into the cleat on the wall. I also used a counter-sink bit to keep the heads below the surface.
I brought everything inside and began attaching the legs to the cleat.
I used the impact driver to screw in the deck screws and then made sure everything was level.
The floor is a little uneven so I used a few shims to make everything line up perfectly.
The final step was to place the cushions on top of the legs.
The banquette was done.
No sooner did I finish that our brand new pup made herself comfortable.
And here is the finished product.
My Project Tools
RANDOM ORBIT SANDER