Today I’m going to be adding some storage options for the French cleat wall I built a little while back. If you haven’t seen that video, check it out and then come back to this one.
This is the French cleat wall I made earlier. There are a bunch of things I want to get stored on here.
I’m starting with some of these F-clamps.
I took some measurements to figure out the size of wood I needed.
I also measured roughly how much space I had to work with.
I grabbed some plywood and started test fitting. I needed to figure out how close together I wanted the clamps to be.
Once I had all the dimensions, I could lay out the entire board.
I also marked how deep the clamps would sit. This would determine how deep to cut the plywood.
Once it was all marked it took the plywood over to the band saw.
I cut out all the notches, taking my time to not stray too far outside the lines.
I put a couple clamps on to make sure they fit, and they did.
I glued a French cleat to the back, holding it together with some brad nails before pre-drilling and sinking in some screws.
I marked and cut some plywood blocks to add to the sides for strength.
Just like before, I added some glue to the joint and held the pieces in place with some brad nails. Once it was secure, I could pre-drill some holes and then drive in some screws.
I put the rack up on the wall and added the F-clamps.
Next I could focus on the quick clamps. These have a little different shape, but same general design.
I measured the clamps and then cut some plywood on the table saw.
I used a scrap piece of plywood to mark in from the edges. I needed to see how close the clamps could get to the edge.
Once again I was back on the band saw cutting out all the slots.
I added some glue and screwed the piece together. I also added some blocking on the sides for support.
I added all the quick clamps, but didn’t like how that it was hanging down so I re-arranged the sections.
Next was a bin full of spring clamps. I laid them out and measured how long my rack needed to be.
I cut a couple of long strips on the table saw. I was going to chop them down to size, but realized I could do that later if need be. I would leave the rack extra-long for additional storage.
I marked out the dado location on the bottom board and then took it over to the table saw.
I adjusted the blade height and made several passes until the entire dado had been removed.
I added some glue and then fit the board down into the dado, then secured the connection with screws.
Since this rack wouldn’t be holding too much weight, I added a small French cleat block at either end.
I put it up on the wall and then loaded up all the spring clamps that I own.
The last part was to clean up all the shop towels and rags that I have lying around.
The construction was simple. I just made a couple boxes to throw things in. I used different pieces of ¾ inch plywood. I cut all the boards down on the table saw and then assembled them on the bench.
I tacked all the pieces together with some brad nails but didn’t use any glue. I wasn’t exactly sure of the size, so I wanted to be able to easily change that later. For now, I screwed it all together.
I added a section of French cleat to the top to be able to mount it on the wall.
I hung it to the bottom cleat on the wall but noticed that I needed a spacer block on the bottom to keep it from torqueing the cleat off the wall.
I added a small block and then loaded up the bin with all the towels.
I also hung the second bin. I’m not sure if I’m going to use the two for different kinds of towels, or maybe just one for clean towels, and one for dirty. We’ll see.
I also made a couple smaller bins to hold my work gloves and knee pads.
Down the road if I get more clamps, I can easily move things around to make them fit.
I don’t see this wall as finished. As I build more projects, I’ll figure out if the layout works for me, and if not, I’ll change it up until it does.
My Project Tools
BRAD NAIL GUN
DRILL & IMPACT DRIVER