Today I’m building a guitar foot stool. I play the guitar and have always wanted to use a foot stool but never bought one. That’s fine with me, because now I get to build one!
I still have a bunch of red oak in the shop so I rummaged around until I found a couple scraps I could use.
I made sure that the scrap was big enough to fit my templates, and then trimmed them down with some scissors. I marked a line so I could cut the scrap down to size.
I made this cut on the band saw. It didn’t need to be accurate, I just wanted the chunk to be more manageable.
I applied some glue-stick to the back of the templates and placed them on the wood. It sticks long enough to get the job done, and then sands off easily.
Back at the band saw, I followed as closely as I could to the lines without touching them. It’s kind of like coloring inside the lines, its really easy if you take your time. The only sharp blade I had was fairly wide so it doesn’t cut very tight corners. I just made several passes to get close to the line on the curves.
At this point I thought I needed to have extra chunky legs, so I offset the line from the middle.
After cutting the legs down, I realized they could be much thinner.
I used the planer to bring all four pieces down to the same thickness.
Using some double sided tape, I stuck the two like sides together. This means I could shape them at the same time to make them identical.
I used the disc sander to round the corners smooth, right up to the line.
Once the shaping was done, I ripped the pieces apart.
The stool basically consists of 4 legs and one body. I ripped this chunk of oak down to its final width. I made a cut about a quarter inch wider than I needed, and then flipped it over and cut it right on.
Over on the miter saw, it cut one end flat, then flipped it and cut it to final length.
The piece was a little too thick, so I used the planer to thin it down.
Referencing my model, I used a combination square to draw out the exact sections I needed to remove. It would leave essentially a wing on each side.
I swapped my normal blade for a dado stack and lined up the cut. I crept up to the line before making the entire pass. It’s not very safe to cut without an insert, but I didn’t have one. I have since bought one and I feel much more comfortable using the dado blades.
I had to cut a notch to allow enough room for the two closest legs to be able to swing. I measured out the dimensions with the ruler and then connected the lines.
I removed the bulk of the material with the band saw.
I used a razor knife to establish the line, and then used a chisel to break the edge.
Now, using a small saw, I cut down close to the bottom and then chipped out the wood with the chisel.
I used a couple different chisels and then a shoulder plane to flatten the surface down to match the rest of the side.
I also used the plane to flatten the angle I just cut.
Then I repeated the exact same process on the other side.
I found a bottle cap that was the perfect size to round over the front of the stool. I marked it out on both sides with a pencil.
I could now rough cut around nose, but not actually touch the line.
The belt sander removed the left over material in a hurry.
You can see how easy it is to sand down right to the line.
Now I marked out the notches to make the stool adjustable.
I continued the lines over the edge, marking the back of the notches and then measured over to mark the backs.
Then I connected the lines which created a wedge shape.
Cutting these was a little tricky. You have to make sure to keep the piece perfectly vertical so the notches don’t come out crooked.
I used a small, quarter inch, chisel to break out the wedges and then to clean up the valleys.
I used a long file to smooth everything out and finish removing material up to the lines.
I used the same file to round over the edges on the angle.
In order for the legs to pivot, I needed a hole right through rounded nose. I used a compass to find the center.
So the bit wouldn’t wander, I punched a hole right in the center.
I used a clamp to keep the block vertical while drilling the hole. It’s important this hole is dead strait.
To mark the hole locations on the legs, I chucked up the brass rod, that I would later cut as the axels, to the drill and spun it until it left a mark.
Now I knew exactly where to drill the next hole.
I also drilled the holes in the center of the outside legs.
And here you can see what the stool will look like folded up.
My Project Tools