There was a lot of wood lying around the shop but it was always in the way. I needed to find a way to get everything up off the ground, yet still accessible. I saw this design online in several builder’s shops. I like the simplicity and sturdiness it provides. It is a relatively simple build and well worth it.
This was the obvious problem that I had to fix. At this point, I couldn’t even use the back door to the garage. It was blocked by a bunch of wood scraps from other projects.
I looked around at all the wall space in the shop and figured out that this space above the workbench would be the best.
I grabbed the tape measure and marked out the first board to the correct length. I transferred that mark to the other boards and cut them down to size.
Once all the boards were cut down to size I bundled them together to make sure the drilling layout was accurate. I made 5 holes per board, there were 6 boards, making a total of 30 holes.
I adjusted my drill press table to 5 degrees. In the direction that I would be drilling the holes, this would make the poles angle upwards, keeping the wood on the rack.
I used a 1 inch forstner bit to drill out the holes about half way through the 2×4’s. This bit removes a lot of material at a time so you have to take it very slowly.
Next I drilled out the holes to attach the boards to the wall studs. Pick a drill bit size that works for whatever long screws you choose for the project.
The drill bit I had wasn’t long enough to go through the 2×4. I used one of the 6 inch screws that I bought to secure the boards to the wall. Screwing it in and out of each hole, I could extend the hole all the way through the board.
I decided to use 3/4-inch conduit. It’s fairly cheap and very strong. Using a reciprocating saw with a carbide tipped blade I cut all the pipes down to size.
Just so I wouldn’t cut my hand pulling wood off the rack, I smoothed all the cut edges of the pipes on the disc sander.
I screwed in each 2×4 at the bottom and then used a level to make sure they were plumb before screwing them in near the top.
I inserted all the pipes and the project was done.
I wasted no time filling up the rack with all the wood I had lying around the shop. This was also a great time for me to sort through my wood and get rid of any junk.
My Project Tools