Today I’m going to be building a quick table saw sled. It can be super dangerous to try and cross-cut a long and narrow piece of wood. This sled makes it safe and it’s easy to use. See how I made it below.
I measured out a piece of ¾ inch plywood I had. It was actually a good sled size, so I didn’t even cut it down.
I grabbed a couple 2×4’s for the front and back fences.
I measured the 2×4 to the width of the plywood.
I took the 2×4 to the miter saw and cut it to length.
To make sure the board sit flat against the plywood, I jointed the bottom edge.
There was still a little bit of play so I made one more pass on the jointer.
The face of the board was pretty rough so I ran that through the jointer really quick as well.
I flipped it over and drilled and counter-sunk some holes. This would keep my alignment for glue-up.
I flipped over the board and applied a good amount of glue and then smoothed it out.
I flipped it back over, double checked it was square, and then re-attached the clamps.
I could now secure the fence in place with screws.
I ripped down a couple strips that were the width of the tracks in the table saw. It took several passes to make them the perfect fit.
I also had to rip the runners again to cut the height down almost in half. The runners need to be shorter than the tracks.
To glue them up properly, I raised the runners up by placing some penny’s down in the track.
I put both tracks in place and laid down some glue on the top side.
After smoothing out the glue I placed the sled in its place. I needed something to hold it down while it dried.
I grabbed a few other heavy items to get the job done.
Once the glue had dried I drilled and counter-sunk some holes and then drove some screws in to secure the runners.
I attached another 2×4 on the far side just like the first one. This is what the final sled looks like.
Now I can cut down long boards without the fear of kickback.
You can easily line up your cut by placing your cut line right on the edge of the saw kerf in the sled.
This works on the back fence as well as the base.
Now I just need to figure out where I’m going to store it.
My Project Tools